NetPoint® makes use of a file [anchor]recovery [/anchor]system to prevent the loss of data in the case of an unexpected [anchor]crash[/anchor]. This works by checking to see, every 30 seconds, if any covered unsaved changes have been made. These include most mouse and keyboard inputs that relate to menus, the toolbar, and the canvas (some actions and intermediate steps are not covered). If a covered unsaved change has been made, the state of the document just prior to that change is stored in separate recovery file (identified with a .NREC extension). For now, this means that the very last change will not make it into the recovery file. This also means that the first change made to a document will never trigger the file recovery system.
For new or unsaved projects, recovery files are stored in MyDocuments\NetPointRecovery. In the event of a crash, if any recovery files existed for new or unsaved schedules, they will be opened automatically when NetPoint® is launched. For existing projects (projects which have already been saved), recovery files are stored in their corresponding project folders. The recovery files for existing projects will open automatically when the original project is opened. Each case is slightly different.
New or Unsaved Projects
- Run NetPoint. The File(s) Recovered! and Remaining File(s) windows will open.
- In the File(s) Recovered! window, click Review File(s). At this point, the toolbar, menu bar (except for Window), and keyboard/mouse input will all become disabled.
- To view or switch to another open file, click from the menu bar and choose accordingly. The Remaining File(s) window will open and close automatically when switching between recovered and non-recovered schedules.
- To discard the recovery file without storing it as a new project, click the Delete button.
- To keep the recovery file as a new project, click the Save As button. The Save Project As window will open.
- Browse for a desired location on the left in which you want the project to be saved and select the folder from the list.
- Enter a description next to Save Project As. This will be the name of the new project.
- Click Save. NOTE: The schedule itself will be named “NetPointFile.np4”. Upon clicking Save, a folder will be created using the description entered and the schedule file will be automatically placed in it.
- If there is another unsaved recovery file, NetPoint will automatically switch focus to it. When there are no more recovery files to handle, NetPoint will exit read-only mode and the Remaining File(s) window will close automatically.
- Click from the menu bar.
- Browse for a project that was open during a crash and click Open. The File(s) Recovered! window will open.
- To abort the operation, click Cancel. The File Recovered! window will open again the next time the project is opened.
- To keep only the original file without reviewing the recovery, click Discard Recovery. The original schedule will open.
- To preview the file, click Review Recovery. Both the recovered version and the last saved version will open, as well as the Remaining File(s) window.
- To view the original file, click from the menu bar and choose accordingly.
- To keep only the original file, click the Delete Recovery button.
- To keep only the recovery file, click the Replace Original button.
- To keep both files, click the Save As button. See step 5 under New or Unsaved Projects above.
- The Remaining File(s) window will close automatically.