When to P6, Open Plan, or MS Project, any activities or milestones placed on planned-dates (between their early-start and late-start) will be pulled back to their traditional CPM early-start dates. In order to maintain a comparable network, constraints must be applied to any activities and milestones starting on planned-dates. This can be accomplished using a filters.
Constraining Activities and Milestones
- Click from the menu bar.
- Click the down arrow under Objects to Include and add Start Milestones and Finish Milestones by checking the boxes next to their names. Make sure to click outside of the list to close it.
- In the Properties section, click the down arrow next to Drift Buffer and choose >.
- In the number control to the right of Drift Buffer, enter 0.
- At the bottom, click Add to List.
- In the List of Filtered Objects, click Select All.
- To close both windows, click the red X in the upper right corner of the List of Filtered Objects window.
- To begin bulk-editing, click from the menu bar.
- Under the Constraints section, click twice in the box next to Start no earlier than until a check appears, and then click once in the box next to Use Planned Dates until a check appears.
- Click the Milestones tab and repeat step 9.
- When finished, click OK. Changes from across all tabs will be applied at once.
For more info, see [bookmark postid=”11510″ anchor=”constraint”]Constraining Activities[/bookmark].